How do I pay the SEVIS fee?
The fee can be paid to the DHS by mail, online or by Western Union QuickCollect and must be accompanied by a Form I-901. It can be paid by you or by a third party (friend or relative), inside or outside the U.S.
To Pay By Mail
- Obtain a Form I-901 "Fee Remittance for Certain F, J, and M Nonimmigrants." Download the form from www.FMJfee.com. Request the form by phone at 1.703.603.3400 (inside the U.S.).
- Complete the Form I-901. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your Form I-20.
- Prepare a check, international money order or foreign draft (drawn on U.S. banks only) in the amount of $200 USD, made payable to "I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee." If you are sending a check, be sure to write the name of the student and the SEVIS identification number.
- Mail the completed Form I-901 and payment to the address listed on Form I-901.
- Print your payment confirmation. Go to www.FMJfee.com. Select “Check Status.” Enter your SEVIS ID, last name and date of birth. Print your payment confirmation and keep it with your other important immigration documents. Additionally, a Form I-797 receipt notice should be mailed within three days of processing the fee. You can also make copies of your receipt this way
To Pay Online - (Non-eligible countries: Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon and Kenya)
- Find the Form I-901 at www.FMJfee.com. Select “Pay I-901 Fee.” Enter your SEVIS ID, last name and date of birth; then hit “Submit.”
- Complete the form online and supply the necessary Visa, MasterCard or American Express or checking account information. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your Form I-20.
- Print a copy of the online receipt. Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important immigrations documents.
To Pay by Western Union
- Fill out the Form I-901 online at www.FMJfee.com. A payment coupon will be generated upon completion of the form.
- Print a copy of the payment coupon and take it to your local Western Union.
- Fill out the Quick Collect/Quick Pay Form according to the information found at the
bottom of the printed coupon. Example below:
- Company Name (or Code City): SEVISFEE
- Account Number: Coupon Number (ex: 010222013872390)
- Amount: 200.00
- Present the coupon and your payment to the Western Union agent for processing. Payment will be linked to your Form I-901 and your online payment confirmation will be available immediately.
Will the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) keep a record of my payment on file?
Fee payments should be entered into your permanent immigration (SEVIS) record, but it is strongly recommended that you retain a copy of your fee receipt (Form I-797c) to use as needed.
I applied to more than one school, and have more than one Form I-20. What happens
if I pay the SEVIS fee for one school, and then change my mind and decide that I want
to attend the other school? Is my paid SEVIS fee transferable?
Yes. But you must submit the Form I-20 with the SEVIS ID number that you listed on the Form I-901 to the U.S. Consulate/Embassy.