I-901 SEVIS Fee

What is SEVIS?

SEVIS is the system that regulates all international student immigration documents. The immigration document Form I-20 is issued from the SEVIS system. Every U.S. school that has international students is authorized by SEVIS to issue the proper immigration documents for application for the student visa.

What is the SEVIS fee?

All international students that receive a Form I-20 and want to apply for their student visa must pay the SEVIS fee of $350.00 at least three days prior to the visa interview. The fee can be paid by mail, on-line or by Western Union. Once you have paid the SEVIS fee, you will receive a receipt, I-797c, which must be presented in your visa interview at the consulate or embassy. Retain this receipt for your records, as it is important for future procedures.

You will receive more information on the SEVIS fee and how to pay it when your acceptance letters and Form I-20 are sent to you upon admission to Oral Roberts University.

Who pays the SEVIS fee?

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security began charging a SEVIS fee in September 2004. Students may or may not be required to pay the fee. Since individual situations may vary, contact the Coordinator of International Students with specific information about your F-1 history, so that we may help you determine whether or not you are subject to the I-901 SEVIS fee.

When do I pay the SEVIS fee?

The fee must be paid at least three business days prior to applying for your visa, or applying for admission at a U.S. port of entry for those exempt from the visa requirement. The fee must be paid prior to submission of a change of status petition or reinstatement application.

Can I pay the SEVIS fee at a university, consulate or port of entry?

No. At this time, the SEVIS fee can only be processed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) via mail or the Internet.

What about my F-2 dependEnts?

F-2 dependents do not have to pay the fee, even if the Form I-20 that the F-2 dependents use is issued on or after 9/1/2004.

Do I have to pay if I transfer to another school, travel outside the U.S. or renew my visa?

The SEVIS Fee is not required when transferring schools, changing to another degree program or level, requesting a program extension, renewing an F-1 visa or using F-1 program benefits such as practical training. If you are in status when you travel internationally and are not physically outside of the U.S. for more than five months, you will not be required to pay the fee.

Instructions on Paying the SEVIS Fee

Take the next step
toward your career.