Four steps to complete the Visa Application Process:
- Contact your local U.S. Consulate or Embassy to ask about how to get an F-1 international student visa. A list of consulates and Embassies can be found at: usembassy.state.gov
- Schedule an interview upon receipt of your Form I-20
Follow the U.S. Embassy/Consulate's instructions to schedule an interview for your F-1 student visa. It is important to apply for your student visa as far in advance as possible. Appointments with Consulates must be made within 120 days prior to the start of school.
- Complete the Visa Application forms: Click here to view all forms
- DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form
- DS-158 Contact Information and Work History for Nonimmigrant Visa Application
- DS-157 Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application (If a male between the ages of 16 and 45)
- Pay the Visa Application fee
- Follow the instructions on your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website.
- Students who are exempt from visa requirements, such as Canadians, should take a copy of the SEVIS fee receipt to present at the port of entry with the appropriate Form 1-20. It will not be possible to pay the fee at the port of entry.
- Students who have submitted change of status or reinstatement applications and have previously paid the SEVIS fee, should submit a copy of their previous school's Form I-20 with their application.