Violations and Penalties
Persistent or flagrant violators are subject to appropriate disciplinary action, including the towing of their vehicles from university property. Penalties assessed for parking and traffic violations must be paid at the Student Accounts Office. A complete list of violations and penalties is available in the office at the Department of Public Safety.
If a violator wishes to appeal a citation, the ticket must be presented to The Department of Public Safety within 10 working days from the date of issue. The appeal will be reviewed by the Traffic Appeals Committee and a determination rendered. A written explanation must accompany the appeal submitted on the Request for Appeal Form obtained from the dispatcher. Verbal appeals are not acceptable. Persons will be notified of the appeal decision by campus mail. Persons who wish to have their appeal sent to an address off campus must furnish self-addressed, stamped envelope along with the appeal form. You may elect to give your email address for the results of your appeal.
ORU traffic rules and regulations are used as the standard for determining all appeals. Decisions are rendered on appeals of citations not clearly definable by the standards.
One may use the ONLINE method of appealing a citation and the results will be returned to your email address.
Impounding or Towing of Vehicles
Automobile, motorcycles and bicycles may be impounded or towed away with the authorization of the Department of Public Safety for any of the following reasons:
- Illegal parking that presents a safety hazard
- Obstruction to the normal flow of traffic
- Refusal to comply with regulations
- Repeated or flagrant offenses (including failure to register vehicle)
- Apparent or assumed abandonment of the vehicle
- Inoperable vehicle occupying a parking space more that 15 working days
- A fee may be charged for the release of impounded motor vehicles, including bicycles
- Vehicles will be towed at the expense of the owner