Extended Testing is a service offered by the university to students with disabilities who:
- Have requested the service
- Have provided documentation warranting the service
- Have been officially approved for the service
Since ORU is truly committed to complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, untimed exams are not offered—only Extended Time exams are available. Once an Extended Testing service has been approved, the following steps will take place.
- Each instructor will be notified by a letter that should be hand-delivered by the student. This provides an opportunity for the instructor and the student to communicate, ask questions, and work out any details that need to be worked out before the testing process begins.
- The student is then responsible to bring to the instructor an Extended Testing form before each exam. This should be taken to the instructor in enough time for it to be completed and returned to the office of Student Support Services two business days before the requested exam date. It is the responsibility of the student to make sure this step happens. If the form is not presented to the Office of Student Support Services 48 hours prior to the requested exam date, then the Office of Student Support Services reserves the right to refuse the requested exam date. If this happens, then the student will be sent back to the instructor to reschedule.
- It is critical that the Extended Testing form be completed while the instructor and
student are together. It is also critical that the form be completed in its entirety.
Please pay special attention to the requested exam date and time, instructor name
and phone, and special conditions. The office of Student Support Services will abide
by the following guidelines:
- If the special conditions field is not completed, nothing but a pen or pencil will be allowed in the testing room.
- If the requested exam date and time fields are not completed, then the form will not be accepted and will be returned to the student.
- If the student is 30 minutes late for the appointed time of exam, the exam will not be offered, and it will be sent back to the instructor.
- If the extended testing form is not presented to the office of Student Support Services 2 business days prior to the requested date of exam, then the Office of Student Support Services reserves the right to refuse the request and will ask that the student reschedule with the instructor.