We're here to support you!

Please reach out to the International Student Center by calling us at 918.495.7017, emailing us at ISC@oru.edu, or by stopping by our office.  


Airport transportation can be difficult. You may not have a US driver's license, a car, or you do not want to park your car at the airport all Summer Break. We get it and we want to help. We will coordinate with the Student Association to arrange a ride for you. 

Shuttle Information


During the International Student Orientation, the ISC will provide you with practical information such as visas, D2L training, mentoring opportunities, and culture shock. This is an effort to help you acclimate to community living at ORU. The event is mandatory, and it takes place at the beginning of each semester.

Ready to get started? Download or print the checklist below to guide your next steps. 

New International Student Checklist

International Student Resource Guide


As a student, we know that transportation can be difficult. Therefore, we want to help you. With at least a 48-hour advance notice, we would love to try our best to give you a ride to a local store, social security office, or an appointment. This is not supposed to be a recurring service, but the idea is to help you out with sporadic needs. We know that this may not always be possible, but want to try our best to do so. Please contact the International Student Center or stop by our offices to see what we can do to help.


On-campus work study opportunities are available for international students, or learn about working in the United States after graduation.

Work Study Information CPT Form OPT Form


The following is for informational purposes only and should not be considered tax, financial or legal advice. Please consult your own tax or financial advisor with any questions.

Who must file a U.S. income tax return (Federal and State)?

Generally, anyone who receives income must file a federal and state income tax return between January and April 15th of the following tax year.

  • Nonresident aliens (a nonresident alien is an individual who is not a U.S. citizen or U.S. national) for U.S. tax purposes are taxed on income that is considered U.S. source.
  • Resident aliens (a resident alien is a person who is not a U.S. citizen or U.S. national and who meets either the “green card” or “substantial presence” test for the calendar year, January 1-December 31) are taxed on their worldwide income the same as U.S. citizens and permanent residents.
What tax reporting documents will I receive from Oral Roberts University and when?
  • Type of income: Nonresident alien Resident alien
  • Employment W-2
  • OPT Employment W-2
  • IRS Form W-2 is mailed by ORU to employees by January 31st

* 1040 and 1040NR Tax forms are available at the local Post Office or www.irs.gov

* Free tax return: http://www.freetaxactrefund.com

For more information on filing taxes as an International Student, please visit:


You are eligible to drive a motor vehicle while residing in the United States. However, if you wish to operate a vehicle you must successfully apply for and receive a driver’s license. Driving a car without a driver’s license is illegal. To acquire a driver’s license, you must apply for one at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). 

These steps include:
  • Waiting 10 days after arriving in the United States to apply for a driver's license so that your Form I-94, “Arrival/Departure Record,” information can update in all the government systems.
  • Obtaining a Social Security number (SSN), if required by your state or territory.
  • Visiting and submitting the proper documentation to the DMV.

The DMV may need to verify your nonimmigrant student status to determine if you are eligible for a driver’s license. To verify your status, the DMV may use the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program. To find out more about this program, please visit the Checking Your SAVE Case Status page: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students/study/save-case-check.

Required Documentation

When you apply for a driver's license at your local DMV, make sure to bring original copies of the following documents:

  • All signed versions of your Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.”
  • A valid passport and your most recent student visa (Please note that you do not need a visa if you are from a visa-exempt country, such as Canada or Bermuda).
  • Proof of residence. This varies from state to state and you should check your local DMV’s website to ensure you understand what is needed to fulfill this requirement.
  • If your state requires it, an SSN card or a Form SSA-L676, “Refusal to Process SSN Application.”
  • If you are on optional practical training, bring your Form I-766, “Employment Authorization Document.” The DMV will use the A number on this card to verify your status.

After a successful application process, a DMV official will explain the next steps for attaining your driver’s license. It is normal for some nonimmigrants to only get temporary licenses. In addition, you may receive the license immediately or you may have to wait several weeks, depending on the state.

Take the next step
toward your career.