Oral Roberts University is a non-profit organization whose staff and faculty actually make a difference in the lives of its students. We pride ourselves on our culture and the values we uphold. Our team is passionate about what we do, and we want you to make us even better!
CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR ALL POSITIONS UNTIL FILLED.
- Full Time
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Federal Eligibility Specialist will conduct outreach to families who may qualify for adjustments to federal eligibility, counsel students and parents in submitting appropriate paperwork, and process items related to federal eligibility including but not limited to Professional Judgement, verification, rejected FAFSA, and Federal C-Flag resolution.
- Conducts direct outreach to financial aid applicants about the opportunity to receive a financial aid adjustment due to recent unemployment of a family member or medical circumstances through the Professional Judgement process.
- Counsels with students and parents referred by Financial Aid Representatives and New Student Relations staff regarding in-depth questions about their Financial Aid/FAFSA process or regarding challenges encountered with Professional Judgment and verification process. Answers questions about financial aid with parents, students and the general public in-person consultation, or via e-mails.
- In accordance with Federal and ORU Financial Aid policy administrates the Professional Judgement Needs Analysis Process, which includes professional judgment, verification processing, and C-Flag/Reject resolution. Complies with Federal regulations in regards to verification, federal student aid eligibility, and other related issues. Updates and maintains the related Federal and Institutional forms.
- Stays current on federal policy regarding FAFSA filing, Verification, income taxes, Professional Judgment, C-Flags, Rejects and Adjustments; makes recommendations for updates to Financial Aid Office policy and procedure. Prepares and conducts, under the direction of the Assistant Director, training sessions to other staff as needed. Meets on a regular basis with the Assistant Director.
- Reconciles DOE and CPS data with Banner system information to ensure Professional Judgement and Verification adjustments are appropriately confirmed among the systems.
- Works effectively with other ORU departments on behalf of ORU students (Student Accounts, Registrar, Academic departments, etc.) and within the Financial Aid department. Creates and updates Professional Judgment notices and forms; works with the IT Department to create electronic forms; updates related information on the ORU website.
Bachelor's degree required. Experience with IRS or tax preparation preferred.
Two (2) years of experience in a customer service setting is required. Experience in a University setting is preferred. Excellent interpersonal skills are paramount for effective communication with people from various backgrounds.
- Must have the ability to deal with persons experiencing stress related to financial matters effectively while maintaining a professional posture at all times.
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to effectively balance/prioritize multi-tasks in the midst of a high paced office environment.
- Must be detail orientated, and have excellent data entry and mathematical skills.
- Requires excellent spelling, grammar, reading, verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to effectively deal with persons from a variety of cultural backgrounds.
- Must be able to read and interpret federal regulations and guidelines as they apply to federal student aid.
- Must be adaptable and able to adjust to a rapidly changing administrative situation.
- Must be capable of exercising sound judgment regarding organizational and departmental regulations, procedures, and policies.
- Must have proven ability to maintain an eye for details under stressful conditions associated with project deadlines and a busy office environment.
- Must be able to meet mandatory deadlines imposed and prescribed by the Federal Government.
Must be computer literate with accurate keyboarding skills. Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Word applications strongly preferred. Must be able to learn the Banner student system used in the daily processing of student information, and web-based programs associated with the downloading of information from the Department of Education.
Must maintain a high level of confidentiality of information.
Maintains compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) policy and its procedures.
Benefits & Perks
Great Company Culture. Enjoy a Christian atmosphere.
Make No Little Plans Here. Everything you do makes a difference.
Great Team Members. People you'll enjoy being around.
Improve Your Health. Free access to the on-campus aerobic center.
Stay Sharp. Access to the ORU library and discounted tuition for yourself and dependents.
Rest and Relaxation. 10 days of paid vacation, 5 sick days and 10 days of paid holidays.
Fair Compensation. Based on your skills and experience.
Benefits. Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, matched retirement savings and tuition for yourself and dependents.
PHYSICAL & ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS will include but not be limited to:
sitting, standing, bending, stooping, walking, crouching, manual dexterity for operation of office machines/computer equipment, and twisting of upper body. Vision to include: near, far, visual accommodation, color and depth perception. Occasional lifting of files up to 25 lbs.
Oral Roberts University employs, advances, admits, and treats in its employment and educational programs all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, status as a veteran or genetic information.