Master of Arts in
Do you feel called to ministry? Is it your dream to grow the local church? Are you passionate about planting churches? If you answered yes to any of those questions, then the Master of Arts in Practical Theology might be the perfect next step for you. This degree will lay the foundation for a career in ministry whether it is inside the walls of a church or beyond.
As a master's student in Practical Theology, you will gather theological and spiritual tools to accompany leadership skills to help meet perceived needs in ministry. The practicum will provide supervised practice in church or community contexts that encourages the integration of biblical and theological understanding with ministry strategies. The twelve semester hours of undesignated electives provide opportunity for the development of individual interests through course work, and specialized research.
The Master of Arts in Practical Theology degree program aims to:
- Prepare candidates with a foundational knowledge of the content of Scripture within its cultural and historical context.
- Prepare students to increase competence and understanding in the Word of God by utilizing basic methods of biblical interpretation.
- Provide a basic knowledge of theology and Christian doctrines.
- Provide a basic knowledge of the history of Christianity.
- Prepare students to effectively communicate the message of Christianity in various cultural contexts.
- Integrate theological reflection and practice through internship opportunities.
- Promote a biblical/theological understanding of the person, work and ministry of the Holy Spirit.
- Enable students to articulate clearly their ministry/professional calling.
- Enable students to integrate biblical and theological understanding with practical ministry strategies.
MASTER OF ARTS IN PRACTICAL THEOLOGY/TEACHING MINISTRIES CONCENTRATION
This program will equip you for teaching ministries in churches, Bible institutes, para-church organizations, and other ministry settings. The concentration provides a foundation in educational theory and practice that will help you pursue teaching vocations or doctoral studies. It seeks to develop the essential knowledge and skills for classroom methodology and effective application of educational theory.
In addition to a strong biblical and theological foundation, the curriculum is flexible
enough to meet the demands of both professional and lay positions. The concentration
provides opportunity for the expression of individual interests through specialized
research and projects. The practicum will encourage you to seek both national and
international opportunities for supervised practice.
THE ORU COLLEGE OF THEOLOGY AND MINISTRY IS ACCREDITED BY:
The Higher Learning Commission (HLC), an independent corporation and one of two commission members of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
THE GRADUATE SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY AND MINISTRY IS ALSO ACCREDITED BY:
The Graduate School of Theology and Ministry is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada (ATS). The following degree programs are approved:
- Master of Divinity
- M.A. Biblical Literature
- M.A. Theological/Historical Studies
- M.A. in Professional Counseling
- M.A. in Intercultural Studies
- M.A. in Practical Theology
- Doctor of Ministry
- PhD in Theology
The Commission contact information is:
The Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the U.S. and Canada
10 Summit Park Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15275 USA
THE UNIVERSITY AND THE COLLEGE OF THEOLOGY AND MINISTRY HOLD MEMBERSHIPS WITH THE FOLLOWING ASSOCIATIONS:
- Association of American Colleges and Universities
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities
- Coalition of Christian Colleges and Universities
Are there scholarships available?
There are several scholarships available to students in the Graduate Program. To learn more about financial aid, click here.
Joe Sims, Graduate Theology Enrollment Counselor
Graduate School of Theology and Ministry
Phone: 918.495.6618 Toll free: 800.643.7976 x2