Bachelor of Science in
Computer Information Technology - Game Design & Development
Oral Roberts University’s Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Computer Information Technology (CIT) is a residential program that empowers you with the skills and knowledge to navigate the impact that computers have in today’s society.
The CIT Program offers an optional Concentration in Game Design and Development. Computer game development is the process of creating interactive digital experiences. This concentration immerses students in a broad spectrum of development and design processes. Students are taught the skills that encompass game design, programming, art, and sound. Students will produce playable games for various platforms such as PCs, consoles, and mobile devices.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
The following educational objectives are the strategic goals of the department toward preparing students for professional or academic careers in CIT. Graduates will have attained the following within a few years after graduation:
- Graduates will secure computing positions that will lead to successful careers in industry, government, academia, or will successfully pursue an advanced degree in a chosen field.
- Graduates will apply their technical knowledge to design and analyze systems and to develop solutions to changing real world IT objectives and problems.
- Graduates will communicate and work effectively with people with diverse backgrounds
- Graduates will engage in lifelong learning and professional development.
- Graduates will demonstrate sensitivity to their Creator and be able to apply Christian principles of stewardship and discipline in their personal lives, being committed to professional and ethical standards of responsibility.
What can I do with a B.S. degree from ORU in Computer Information Technology-GAME DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT?
Inspiring, purpose-driven graduates (that’s you!) can enjoy successful careers in:
- Game Designer
- Game Programmer
- Game Data Analyst
- Game AI Developer
- Game Sound Designer
What are some of the core experiences of this program?
- Project Management
- System Analysis/Design
- Database Development
- Internet Programming
- Mobile Application Development
- 2D Game Prototyping and Demo Production
- 3D Game Prototyping and Demo Production
What makes ORU’s computer information technology-GAME DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT program stand out?
The Computer Information Technology degree at ORU provides a hands-on, applied science approach to the ever-expanding world of IT. Through the acquisition of knowledge, students gain insight and understanding into the various domains of Information Technology. In addition to a firm computing foundation, the Game Design and Development concentration prepares students for a wide spectrum of design and production careers. By understanding programming, project management, systems analysis, 2D and 3D game prototyping and demo production, and more, students can not only identify their own passions and career paths but be well positioned to converse across technical domains with the breadth of knowledge acquired. The program is supported by professors who not only possess advanced degrees in Computer Science, but have worked as IT professionals and have first-hand knowledge and experience in the world of IT.
STUDENT OUTCOMES EXPECTED BY GRADUATION
By the time of graduation, students are expected to have the skills to :
- Analyze a complex computing problem and to apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
- Design, implement and evaluate a computing-based solution meeting computing requirements in the context of the program’s discipline.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program’s discipline.
- Use systemic approaches to select, develop, apply, integrate, and administer secure computing technologies to accomplish user goals.
What about accreditation?
As a university, we meet the accreditation standards set by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
Are there scholarships available?
Nearly 100% of our full-time, undergraduate residential students receive ORU grants and scholarships through academic achievement and through ORU’s premier scholarship opportunity of our Quest Whole Leader Scholarship. To learn more about financial aid, click here.