Skip to Main Content

Developing Whole Leaders for the whole World

Work Study

Work Study is a work program for college students. The purpose of the program is two-fold:

  • To help full-time undergraduate and graduate students meet their education expenses through employment
  • To compliment and reinforce the student's educational or career goals through work experience.

ORU Work Study is available to any student who is not eligible for Federal Work Study, however, the numbers of jobs are limited. ORU Work Study is not federally funded and is considered "accountable" income.

The maximum amount that may be earned for ORU Work-Study is $4,000 ($2,000 for Fall semester and $2,000 for Spring semester). You will receive this money in a bi-weekly paycheck based on the number of hours worked. Your hourly wages will be at least minimum wage. There is no FICA withholding for full-time students, but all work study wages are subject to federal and state income tax. The student's work study earnings do not count directly to his/her financial aid for payment of charges.

Nearly every department employs student workers. These include clerical, lab assistants, music, tutorial, maintenance, computers, electronics and customer service. Opportunities also exist in community service areas assisting with the elderly, achievement of literacy and other programs. These jobs may be on campus or off campus.

Students may work an average of 18 hours per week when classes are in session and up to 40 hours per week during semester breaks provided they have not exceeded allowable earnings at that time. Students and supervisors work together in determining the student's work schedule. This ensures the supervisor's needs and the demands of the student's class schedule are met.

On-campus jobs are posted online, please click here. An application is submitted by the student to the department posting the job opening.

When you have been accepted for any on-campus job, you will be required by the Student Employment Office to have the original documents that establish identity and employment eligibility. This is a Federal requirement.

The most common documents for confirming a student's identity are a social security card, birth certificate or a U.S. passport in addition to a photo ID.

International students are required to have a social security card in addition to their INS documents.

Take the next step
toward your career.