Skip to Main Content

Developing Whole Leaders for the whole World

Social Security Number

A Social Security Number (SSN) is a number that the U.S. government issues to anyone working in the U.S to track their earnings. As an international students, you will need to get a Social Security Number before you can start working in the U.S.

As a student on  F-1 visa, you will need to obtain a SSN whether you are working using you CPT, OPT or work study (on campus) job.

Procedure to Obtain a Social Security Number

  1. Complete all online registration on Vision (very importantly, verify your address)
  2. Apply for a job. You cannot apply for the SSN without having proof of employment.
  3. Obtain a Letter of Employment from your employer which clearly states that you have been employed and also states the number of hours you will be working.
  4. Go in person to the Social Security Office (Address: 4750 S Garnett Rd, Tulsa, OK 74146) and carry the following for identification :

 (i)     Passport
(ii)     I-20 form
(iii)    I-94 form (if available)

  1. Collect a letter from ORU's DSO, Lisa Edwards which will simply state that you are a current student at ORU and you have the authorization to work

N/B: These documemts are necessary for a successful application



Take the next step
toward your career.