Social Security Number
A Social Security Number (SSN) is a number that the U.S. government issues to anyone working in the U.S to track their earnings. As an international students, you will need to get a Social Security Number before you can start working in the U.S.
As a student on F-1 visa, you will need to obtain a SSN whether you are working using you CPT, OPT or work study (on campus) job.
Procedure to Obtain a Social Security Number
- Complete all online registration on Vision (very importantly, verify your address)
- Apply for a job. You cannot apply for the SSN without having proof of employment.
- Obtain a Letter of Employment from your employer which clearly states that you have been employed and also states the number of hours you will be working.
- Go in person to the Social Security Office (Address: 4750 S Garnett Rd, Tulsa, OK 74146) and carry the following for identification :
(ii) I-20 form
(iii) I-94 form (if available)
- Collect a letter from ORU's DSO, Lisa Edwards which will simply state that you are a current student at ORU and you have the authorization to work
N/B: These documemts are necessary for a successful application