Make a Plan
- Research, research, research - subjects, programs and universities.
- Check financial aid opportunities- including scholarships, grants, assistantships and loans.
- Apply early! Some programs fill up and/or have limited scholarship money available.
- Put together all required application documents (graduate admissions tests may be required).
- Know the application deadlines.
- Visit institutions that accept you.
- Prayerfully make your final decision. Notify all universities that accepted you of your decision.
- Kaplan - Test prep and admissions
- Test Dates Central - Practice questions and test dates for graduate school entry exams
- Exam2Jobs - Practice exam questions
- GradSchools.com - A comprehensive source for graduate school information
- The Princeton Review - Practice tests, prep courses, admissions, financial aid, school exploration
- US News and World Report - Graduate school rankings and financial aid
- Statement of Purpose - Includes sample essays, FAQs, and writing tips
- ORU - Check out ORU's graduate programs in Education, Theology, & Business
Does my graduate degree need to be in the same area as my undergraduate degree?
Sometimes, but there are programs such as law school and business administration where you may simply have to take a few prerequisite courses to complete your graduate degree. Other programs will require anywhere from some to substantial work in your field for admittance.
What if my GPA is low?
Generally your GPA is only a part of your overall application. At times this can be overcome with a strong graduate exam score or a letter explaining the circumstance that resulted in your low GPA. Ask your schools of choice about such options as well as conditional or probational acceptance.
If I go to grad school later, how do I get recommendation letters from professors?
Request that your professors write a letter of recommendation now and save it in their files for later reference. Include a picture of yourself with their file so when they pull the letter out for you at a later time they can put a face with the name. Generally after you have been out of undergrad studies for more than 5 years professional recommendations are all that is required.