Bachelor of Fine Arts in
Oral Roberts University’s Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) in Art Education is a residential program that will equip you for a career in teaching art. A B.F.A. in Art Education from ORU, in cooperation with the ORU College of Education, will prepare you for certification by the State of Oklahoma and other states in K-12 education. In this exciting degree course, you will get experience and training in all art mediums and gain skills that draw from tradition and contemporary society and technology. Our unique mission to develop you through a Whole Person education will set you apart to impact your future students’ lives in a great way.
What can I do with a degree in Art Education?There are a variety of opportunities for Art Education graduates in schools, organizations, and art galleries and museums around the world:
- Public Schools
- Private Schools
- Private Educational Business
- Agency Child Care
- Community Youth Organizations
- Art Galleries and Museums
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE CORE EXPERIENCES?
- Art History
- Graphic or Web Design
- Elementary and Secondary Art Methods and Evaluation
- Education Seminar
- Student Teaching
WHAT MAKES ORU’S ART EDUCATION PROGRAM STAND OUT?
We are pleased to offer our B.F.A. in Art Education at ORU, as we are one of only a select number of universities to have this major. As an Art Education major at ORU, you will get the rare opportunity to have a large focus in both art and education. You will be more than adequately equipped to teach art at many different education levels and to feel confident and excited walking into a classroom.
As an ORU Art Education major, you will have access to state of the art technology and facilities for painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, and digital graphic design including:
- The Douglass Latta Computer lab with drawing tablets, video cameras, digital still cameras and lenses, audio-video projection system, a color laser printer and a large format inkjet color printer. Additional adjacent spaces house multiple Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machines, 3D printers and laser and vinyl cutters.
- Three ceramic kilns, glaze room, potters wheels
- Painting and Drawing Studio
- Art Education Classroom
- Etching, Relief Press and Print Shop
- Sculpture Shop
- Teaching Gallery
- Separate computer lab dedicated to B.F.A. Art Education Specialization majors
ORU's Fast Track program offers you the opportunity to complete up to 12 hours of graduate course work as an undergraduate student…with no additional cost! For more information click here.
WHAT ABOUT ACCREDITATION?
As a university we meet the highest accreditation standards set by the Higher Learning Commission. The Art Education program meets certification requirements set by the Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability.
ARE THERE SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE?
Nearly 100% of our full-time, undergraduate residential students receive ORU grants and scholarships through academic achievement and through ORU’s premier scholarship opportunity of our Quest Whole Leader Scholarship.
We also want to make sure you know about the Gloria B. Scholarship fund, which is available to art majors. Also, we have ORU Art Programs Talent Award Scholarships that are available for you as an incoming freshman or transfer student for up to $2,000 per year. Recipients must remain an art education, graphic design or studio art major and maintain a 2.5 GPA.
- Create a digital portfolio with a minimum of ten (10) examples of your best work. Recommended sites for no-cost portfolio hosting include Carbonmade and Behance.
- Write a letter stating why you want to major in art at ORU. Please mention any awards or honors you have received.
- Complete the online application with a link to your online portfolio site and your letter. Application deadline is March 1 yearly.
College of Education Scholarships (Applications available every spring for current ORU College of Education candidates)
Art Education Advisor