Bachelor of Fine Arts in
Oral Roberts University’s Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) in Art Education is a residential program that will equip you for a career in teaching art. A B.F.A. in Art Education from ORU, in cooperation with the ORU College of Education, will prepare you for certification by the State of Oklahoma and other states in K-12 education. In this exciting degree course, you will get experience and training in all art mediums and gain skills that draw from tradition and contemporary society and technology. Our unique mission to develop you through a Whole Person education will set you apart to impact your future students’ lives in a great way.
WHERE CAN I GET A JOB WITH A DEGREE FROM ORU IN ART EDUCATION?
- Public Schools
- Private Schools
- Private Educational Business
- Agency Child Care
- Community Youth Organizations
- Art Galleries and Museums
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE CORE EXPERIENCES OF THIS PROGRAM?
- Art History
- Graphic or Web Design
- Elementary and Secondary Art Methods and Evaluation
- Education Seminar
- Student Teaching
WHAT MAKES ORU’S ART EDUCATION PROGRAM STAND OUT?
We are pleased to offer our B.F.A. in Art Education at ORU, as we are one of only a select number of universities to have this major. As an Art Education major at ORU, you will get the rare opportunity to have a large focus in both art and education. You will be more than adequately equipped to teach art at many different education levels and to feel confident and excited walking into a classroom.
As an ORU Art Education major, you will have access to state of the art technology and facilities for painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, and digital graphic design including:
- The Douglass Latta Computer lab with drawing tablets, video cameras, digital still cameras and lenses, audio-video projection system, a color laser printer and a large format inkjet color printer. Additional adjacent spaces house multiple Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machines, 3D printers and laser and vinyl cutters.
- Three ceramic kilns, glaze room, potters wheels
- Painting and Drawing Studio
- Art Education Classroom
- Etching, Relief Press and Print Shop
- Sculpture Shop
- Teaching Gallery
- Separate computer lab dedicated to B.F.A. Art Education Specialization majors.
WHAT ABOUT ACCREDITATION?
As a university, we exceed the highest accreditation standards set by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), one of the top outside regulators in the U.S.
ARE THERE SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE?
Nearly 100% of our full-time, undergraduate residential students receive ORU grants and scholarships through academic achievement and through ORU’s premier scholarship opportunity of our Quest Whole Leader Scholarship. We also want to make sure you know about the Gloria B. Scholarship fund, which is available to art majors. Also, we have ORU Art Programs Talent Award Scholarships that are available for you as an incoming freshman or transfer student for up to $2,000 per year. Recipients must remain an art education, graphic design or studio art major and maintain a 2.5 GPA. Application Procedure:
- Create a digital portfolio with a minimum of ten (10) examples of your best work. Recommended sites for no-cost portfolio hosting include Carbonmade and Behance.
- Write a letter stating why you want to major in art at ORU. Please mention any awards or honors you have received.
- Complete the online application with a link to your online portfolio site and your letter. Application Deadline is March 1 yearly.