Bachelor of Arts in
Oral Roberts University’s Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree in English Education is the perfect program for students who want to teach English and writing in public or private middle and high schools. This fun and exciting major will prepare you for the classroom and to positively impact the lives of teenagers.
As an English Education major, you will focus on three areas of study: general education, professional education and English content (literature, linguistics and writing). You will study American, British and world literature and will have the opportunity to choose special courses to focus on a particular literary period or genre. You’ll sharpen your writing skills and knowledge and learn to evaluate written materials according to grammatical structure, composition and linguistic principle. In our English Education department you will receive specialized instruction on the English language origins, present-day function and methods of teaching.
Through this major, you will earn licensure to teach English and language arts at the middle and high school levels. You may also earn licensure in a second subject/content area. The Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation requires the OSAT/OPTE test(s) be passed in order to obtain a license in an additional subject/content area. If you are interested in completing coursework toward additional licensing, the subject area advisor can help you with the next steps.
Our mission to raise Whole Leaders for the Whole World will truly set you apart as a teacher in today’s schools.
What can I do with a degree in English Education?
A degree in English Education from ORU will get you on the way to the classroom- whether public or private, middle or high school. The knowledge and experience you will gain at ORU will make a place for you in schools worldwide.
What are some of the core experiences?
- Young Adult Literature
- World Literature
- English Literature
- American Literature
- Structure of Modern English
- Teaching English
- Major Writers
- Contemporary Literature
- Modern Period
- Foundations and Methods of Education
- Field Based Experience/Practicum
- Intern/Student Teaching 7-9; 10-12
What makes ORU’s English Education program stand out?
Besides the expansive offerings of the classes and professors in this department, ORU’s English Education program presents an array of opportunities for you to further your experience and grow by way of student societies, clubs and extracurricular activities. These groups supply a unique occasion for you to deepen your well of knowledge and cultivate a rich understanding of our English language.
- Sigma Tau Delta is the International English Honor Society with a central purpose to confer distinction upon outstanding students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate and professional studies.
- The English Club meets periodically for poetry readings and various social events. The club is open to English and writing majors as well as to any students who enjoy literature and writing.
- Promethia is the ORU literary magazine that showcases poetry, essays, short stories and black-and-white photography created by ORU students, faculty and staff. Produced annually by students, Promethia seeks to display the finest literary efforts of the ORU community.
- The C.S. Lewis and the Inklings Society has a chapter at ORU. Functioning like a campus club, the society hosts academic conferences, Tolkienfest and many social events throughout the year.
- Walden Weekend is an annual retreat held in early fall, enabling students to escape the commotion of urban life and to leisurely read and write in the woods of eastern Oklahoma.
ORU's Fast Track program offers you the opportunity to complete up to 12 hours of graduate course work as an undergraduate student…with no additional cost! For more information click here.
What about accreditation?
As a university we meet the accreditation standards set by the Higher Learning Commission. The English Education program meets certification requirements set by the Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability.
Are there scholarships available?
Nearly 100% of our full-time, undergraduate residential students receive ORU grants and scholarships through academic achievement and through ORU’s premier scholarship opportunity of our Quest Whole Leader Scholarship.
College of Education Scholarships (Applications available every spring for current ORU College of Education candidates)
Instructor of English and English Education